From my class notes (I’m studying for an exam tomorrow):
Why do people lose weight on low-carb diets?
1. Glycogen loss
2. Water loss — due to glycogen loss and exretion of ketone bodies
3. Decreased energy intake — ketosis, decreased food variety, increased motivation due to early loss
4. Increased protein? — satiation and satiety
Problems with low-carb diets:
1. Calcium loss from bone — low-carb diets increase blood acidity, acidity is buffered by calcium bicarbonate from bone, calcium is lost from urine in amounts proportional to protein intake
2. Nutrient deficient — low fiber, low fruits and vegetables (e.g. minerals and vitamins)
3. Not sustainable — limits food choices, boring, don’t know long-term effects
So there you have it, kids. Low-carb diets are the devil. Just eat a balanced diet, and you’ll be fine.