On Saturday mornings my husband usually makes us eggs for breakfast. This Saturday morning I awoke with a hankering for hot chocolate, so I decided to get up and contribute to the breakfast by making us wonderful big mugs of hot chocolate. I even used milk instead of water (once you’ve used milk, water-based hot chocolate just doesn’t taste the same). The hot chocolate looked thick and creamy as we sat down to eat. There was only one problem.
It tasted like soap.
Now, this wasn’t just like, Hmm, this tastes a little bit strange. Is that soap? This was more like, Thank you so much for the big frothy mug of soap.
I couldn’t figure out what had gone wrong. Maybe the spoon I used hadn’t been rinsed off well in the dishwasher? Maybe there was some soap residue that got mixed in with our hot chocolate? Charlie took one sip and poured the contents of both of our mugs down the drain. Boo.
It wasn’t until I was cleaning up that I discovered the culprit: the hot chocolate itself. I opened up the big tub, and the powder reeked of soap. In fact..is that…laundry detergent? And Bounce fabric softener? I remembered then that when I moved here from Minnesota, we packed the hot chocolate in a box with the laundry detergent and fabric softener. Apparently a few weeks stuffed inside a box with powerful cleaning agents will corrupt a perfectly good tub of hot chocolate.
In other news, I ran 5 miles yesterday. I purposely ran it as slow as possible, but it made me feel pretty stupid when Charlie eventually stopped running and resigned himself to walking quickly by my side. I had to keep telling myself that he was 6’4″ and it was a QUICK walk. It was.